Christmas parties are in full swing and it is important to remember that the office party is an extension of work. With the parties come lots of cheer, gifts and camaraderie. This blog is a gentle reminder of questionable behaviours and some common sense reminders that bear repeating.
- Do not over indulge; this is not the time to drink and show your displeasure with being passed over for that promotion. Nor is it a time to show how poorly you can handle your liquor. Even if the company party is an open bar, the last thing that you want is to hurt your ability to get the next promotion.
- Make sure that your guest follows the same rules. Their performance at the company party affects you as if their actions were yours.
- Try not to talk too much about work. This is the time to relax and have fun with your co-workers.
- Ladies do not overdress for the occasion. Dress in a sophisticated style that shows you have sound taste in fashion. Do not show too much skin or cleavage.
- Always consider what and how you say something, you never know who may be listening!
Your boss and their bosses are watching. They are looking at all the behaviours both good and bad. This is an opportunity for you to shine, show them what you are made of and potentially why they should consider you for promotion.
- Have fun and be yourself. Show your supervisors and managers how you interact with people on a less formal level.
- Make sure you know the names of the people that matter. Not just in your department, but the executive as well.
- Treat everyone you meet as if they could be your next boss. Not just the employees in the company, but their guests as well.
If you do go to the company party and feel like you have made some mistakes; own up to it. Go to the person or persons in questions and apologize immediately. Do not let your questionable choices affect you any further. This is a conversation that has to happen, not an email.
The most important thing to remember is that this is a company event. No matter what happens you need to treat it as though you are going to work. Everything you say and do can be used against you in the future. Termination with just cause is a reality in some instances so take care, act responsibility and enjoy yourself!