Do any of these situations sound familiar to you?
- Your company’s workload is increasing, but the demand fluctuates a lot. You aren’t sure that you need a new full-time employee yet, but you need to be able to meet the demand when required.
- Your employees are working long hours to meet the seasonal demand for your industry. They are keeping up with most of the workload, but they are starting to get worn out. This pace is not sustainable.
- Your company is launching into a major project. Your current staff, although great at what they do, cannot get a handle on one aspect that requires a different skill set and perspective. This situation is starting to put the project timeline at risk.
- You have an employee on vacation and the person covering for them has been home sick for several days. Their work is piling up, and there is no one else in the office who is available to get it done.
- Your receptionist called in sick and you find that there is no one that can cover, or putting another of your employees on the reception desk means their work is not going to get done.
These issues and a nearly endless list of similar ones can put a great amount of stress on both yourself and your employees. It is fantastic to have employees that can step up and handle the extra or unexpected workload, but for how long and at what cost? Overtime hours are expensive and overtime can lead to employees feeling overworked, overwhelmed and possibly under-appreciated if the requirement continues. This, in turn, can cause employees to make mistakes in the work being completed which then needs to be re-done, or worse, can hurt your business in some way. If this type of stress continues over an extended period, you will see absenteeism increase and eventually retention of employees will become an issue. If you think overtime is costly, employee turnover has an even higher cost to the company’s bottom line and reputation.
The good news is that using a staffing agency to provide you with a temporary employee can help greatly in reducing this stress. Here are three ways that you might not have thought about.
Temporary employees can be utilized for any timeframe you require. They can be hired for occasional, part-time, or full time hours. They can be hired for any number of days, weeks or months. They can be released as soon as the requirement is completed. This will allow your business to adjust quickly to the workforce scheduling and skill requirements with a minimal amount of time, effort and commitment on your part.
Temporary employees can increase productivity in several ways. They can bring skills sets that your team does not normally need to the completion of a project. They can clean up loose ends so that your regular employees can stay focused on their revenue generating tasks. They can complete a project that needs to be done, but you do not have anyone available to tackle. Consider a scenario where the company requires a SharePoint site set up. If you have a current employee complete this project, you are losing their normal productivity. If you choose to hire a temporary employee with the skills and knowledge to complete the task, they will be able to get it done in a timely manner with no impact to your regular business. In all the above cases, your regular employees can stay focused on their main tasks which increases their productivity. Once the short-term requirement is completed, the temporary employee is done.
Decreased Costs for the Business
Temporary employees are employed by the staffing agency; the agency is responsible for all hiring and payroll costs to have that person working. This places no addition requirement on you or your payroll person. Because the temporary employee is not on your payroll, any benefits that you provide your regular staff are not required to be paid to them. When you no longer require the temporary employee, the assignment is completed. There is no requirement to keep the temporary employee working until they are needed again.
One other benefit of using temporary employees is that occasionally you will find a gem! An employee that fits into your company culture, works well with your team and compliments the team with their specific skill set. Most staffing agencies offer a “temp-to-hire” program, which would allow the company to hire the temporary employee permanently if requested.
Using a staffing agency to provide temporary employees will provide your company with the security of having qualified, skilled employees to assist with a wide variety of tasks on short notice and only when they are needed. Because the staffing agencies usually have many qualified individuals that are already interviewed, skills tested and reference checked, they can fill positions quickly and match the skills you require.
Think a temporary employee could help to relieve your stress levels? Give us a call to discuss how we can make it happen.